Thursday, April 17, 2014

Book Review (1): The Fault in Our Stars

I heard a lot about this book from some of my friends on twitter and saw that it was being made into a movie. I'm all about reading the book before seeing the movie, so I decided to get right on that.


From Amazon: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

I absolutely fell in love with this story. I'm fairly certain it is a young adult novel, but I don't care. It was so eloquently written, and the characters were developed so perfectly. It was a tragic love story, but I wasn't surprised or taken aback by that going into it. Some paragraphs were so tangled with emotion that it was at times difficult to remember it was just a story. Two quotes are still flitting around in my head. 

“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

and

"That's what I believe. I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it-or my observation of it-is temporary?"

It took me two and a half hours to finish this book, and I devoured it whole. 

I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars. 

0 comments: