Sunday, July 28, 2013

Illegal Immigration


I'm currently taking a summer course called Problems in Metropolitan Policymaking.  We are learning about different policy arenas that affect different parts of the metropolitan areas (cities v. suburbs v. regions). The lesson we're working on this week is illegal immigration. So rather than looking at it from the federal level, we are looking at it from the local level and how it affects different metropolitan areas.  In a CBS News article I read entitled, "Welcome to Hazelton", it reads "Not that long ago it [illegal immigration] was a problem in a half dozen border states, today it impacts virtually the entire country."  I found this an interesting article. I haven't fully committed to my view on immigration reform. My area of focus is more foreign policy related.  I'm a Republican from Massachusetts (did you even know that we exist?!) with a strong fiscally conservative side and a more moderate social side.  That being said, I was getting enraged by the article. I have a really big problem with the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), you see, sometimes I think they make valid points and help with important issues. The rest of the time? I feel they're just meddling to get their names in the paper. The story was focusing on how the mayor of Hazelton took illegal immigration into his own hands, even though it is generally a federal issue, because he believed nothing successful was being done. 

Feel how you want on the subject, again, I'm not positive where I stand. I think immigration is great and helpful to the economy...if done legally. I just can't wrap my head around illegal immigration. The word illegal, in and of itself, shows that it is unlawful. The AMERICAN civil liberties union is taking a stand against this mayor saying his act is a civil rights violation, but the ILLEGAL immigrants aren't American citizens. Not to mention, the act focuses on the businesses and landlords hiring and renting out to the illegal aliens, therefore making his Act (Illegal Immigration Relief Act Ordinance) completely legal. The part that bothered me, is that the representative for the ACLU just seemed to be meddling for the wrong reasons. I'm sure that wasn't it, and most likely the media chose the quotes that would best suit the purpose of the piece.  

Again, I'm not an expert on illegal immigration. I'm not an expert in anything. This blog is for me to speak my frustrations and that piece made me extremely frustrated. The town of Hazelton had a problem with illegal immigration. The crime rate went up significantly, the public school enrollment was up 25% and un-reimbursed ER visits went up 60%. The Act required people to go to city hall with their proof of citizenship and register, which linked up with the federal system, in order to work or rent. I don't see a problem with that. Maybe I'm biased? 

Maybe you feel differently, and I would like to know how other people see this situation. I like healthy debate, not tear each other apart debate. Since, I'm not an expert, I want to learn as much as I can about the pros and cons of an act like this. Do you believe it's a violation because it's a federal issue or do you believe that the Act should be re-instated?

0 comments: